Thursday 28 February 2013

A BBQ in the Countryside


One of the things that I love about getting packs of paper from Mel and Jill at A Trip Down Memory Lane is the coloured card stock (and just getting a pack of beautiful papers too :)).  I am always tempted to go for the neutral colours for the bases of my pages like white and kraft or cream but Mel and Jill always put in a couple of colours too and this just stretches me a bit more out of my comfort zone, not only because it changes the colours of ink you put on there too, but it is such a bold block of colour.  Anyway I loved making this page and I don't think the photo quite shows the warmth the yellow adds to the page so I love it more in the flesh!

The papers are all by My Minds Eye - Sweetest Thing, I started with some Washi Tape and made a mount with strips of it across the page (yes the strips don't go all the way across the page there is a gap where the photo was going to cover it :)) and then just using my fingers smeared white acrylic paint over the top.  The next layer was a doily and then a couple of layers of the Sweetest Thing papers which I damped, distressed and inked.  The photo is a BBQ instagram - not the best photo in the world but it captures the memory. To highlight the photo some more I circled it in twine, and then added some prima flowers and Martha Stewart butterflies around the edges.  I also made a banner with some white Teresa Collins Acetate too to the left of the photo.  A few splatters of ink, a stamped title and some torn tape and journalling.  Looking at the page it makes me feel like I am looking through a telescope a bit as the photo is quite small especially with all the layers around it!

The photo is from a camping adventure with friends, and we normally have this sort of a bbq arrangement on one of the evenings and it is mostly men (though there is a token female in there with a bbq) who huddle around their fires in clouds of smoke cooking delicious food for us!

There is lots of super inspiration in the gallery so here is a link, though I will be back with more of my creations too.




12 comments:

  1. Super use of texture..yes looks like a telescope view to me too x Good choice of background card too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so unusual and one of the prettiest pages I've seen recently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this page Katherine its gorgeous I'm going to have a go with paints and inks on my pages it looks so good, trouble is I'm messy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kat that's fabulous, I love your colour choice on this one!

    Have you seen the IACW email - I've left a message on UKS group for you too.

    Hope you are well

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool bunch of layers. So much to look at, paint, washi, doily, butterflies...wonderfully fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful design and great layers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful layout, I love the rolled paper technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful layout, really beautiful.
    C xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. love how you framed out the photo!!! Beautifully done. Thanks for popping in today:):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has got to be one of my favourite layouts of yours that I've seen, Katherine. I love that sense of almost being a distant observer on a wonderful moment. The layers and gradual closing in around the photo really gives a sense of being on the the outside looking in. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love how it looks as if the photo spills over onto your page. Very pretty Kat x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments so thank you for leaving me one :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails